Sperg Powers Activate: Arcane knowledge you have of platforms or games

WSSWSS
edited January 13 in General
This is pretty simple- what sort of arcane knowledge do you have of specific platforms, or of games- tied to a platform, or the game itself.

For instance:
  • The Apple ][ was usually capable of a soft-reset by running a power reset on the diskette device which would reload into AppleDOS/Kernel. You could accomplish this by PR#[Slot]. Slots 6,5 were most popular. Hence, PR#6 at a prompt would give a soft load without having to power off/on the system at most times.
  • The Atari 2600, when released, was mostly comprised of parts which were available off-the-shelf from any decent electronics vendor (Radio Shack not included)
  • The Mattel Intelivision, based on General Instruments CP-1600 is essentially a PDP-11, by design. It STILL has an active homebrew developer circuit via Yahoo Groups, in 2018. It was test-released in 1978, making it now a 40 years active console. Suck that, NES.

Comments

• Odyssey still running and I like it.

Also love my Activision.
  • Acorn Archimedes A3000 the processor could actually rise slightly out of the board if it was hot for long enough, the fix was to lift the front right corner of the computer 1 inch and drop it to reseat the chip :)
  • Backtogeek wrote: »
    Acorn Archimedes A3000 the processor could actually rise slightly out of the board if it was hot for long enough, the fix was to lift the front right corner of the computer 1 inch and drop it to reseat the chip :)

There was a similar fix for the Apple ///. :D
  • So most folks know that 1-on-1 fighting games are now defined by combos - games hinge on knowing how to chain attacks together so that you can maximise the damage done when your opponent makes a mistake.

Street Fighter 2 introduced the combo to fighting games, but what most folks don”t realise that this was actually unintentional; the ability to follow up a successful hit with another before your opponent had a chance to block was a bug in the original version of the game, but proved so popular that it was expanded on and has become the defining characteristic of fighting games ever since.
    Bits from 3WSS AuroraZ derpydm
  • @BarryHercules This reminds me of Gandhi nuking the US.. I didn't know it was unintentional- I thought it was planned.

Ironically, this era of "Combos" is when I stopped playing videya, because it became less "skill" and more "mash buttons in a sequence". That said, my favorite home videogame has controllers that look like an old touchtone phone
  • WSS wrote: »
    Ironically, this era of "Combos" is when I stopped playing videya, because it became less "skill" and more "mash buttons in a sequence".

The skill lies in knowing exactly when to mash those buttons, and how to get inside the head of your opponent to create that opening. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Dragonball FighterZ shapes up on the competitive circuit when it's released at the end of the week. I just wish I had the time to dedicate to getting myself on the UK circuit!
    Bits from 1WSS
  • @BarryHercules - I am (well, was, and still live as) a poor, so when I finally got my incredible 386(SX) and spent the next few years buying things it needed, like a 512K vidya card, because the 256k one didn't really work well, and the keyboard died- $30 (6 months) later..

I still harbor a bit of a grudge for people who could afford to use computers to game, rather than experience the amazing text-based internet with code, chat, and amazing insights.

Now I shitpost all day on the interwebs. <shrug>
  • I used to be godlike at SF2 in both the arcade and SNES, we had a charity day once at school and I brought my SNES in, people had to pay 10p to play and it was winner stays on, I started and finished, I was never beaten.

My hands are noticeably slower and stiffer these days, I have a SNES controller for the PC, would like to give it a shot but my hand is actually broken now.
    I used to be godlike at SF2 in both the arcade and SNES, we had a charity day once at school and I brought my SNES in, people had to pay 10p to play and it was winner stays on, I started and finished, I was never beaten.

My hands are noticeably slower and stiffer these days, I have a SNES controller for the PC, would like to give it a shot but my hand is actually broken now.

Get a Switch and the upcoming SF collection, we’ll throw down online.
  • Technically, the Atari Jaguar still fits here, as it used 32 bit, except for 64 bit path to the RAM.
  • It does, also it's allowed because of the tv adverts alone, what a brilliant failure it was
  • Full Jaguar set in The Dump :-)
    It does, also it's allowed because of the tv adverts alone, what a brilliant failure it was

Wow. I never saw any of these. All I remember is the quasi-William Gibson Cyberpunk guy with the tats and so forth screaming at you. Now I can't find it.