Modfiles, modfiles, modfiles!

As a child of the 80s/90s, you damn well better know what a MODFile is. They brought music, sound effects, and other greatness to lower-powered CPU machines that we had before CD/AIFF took over and destroyed The whole idea of looped tracks with a handful of samples.

Sometimes it was done well.

Sometimes it was done incredibly well.

Other times, it was beyond awesome. This is probably my favorite set, which dates back to 1992. It was a combination of 8 bit tracked samples and YM FM. It's glitchy now, and somewhat cringeworthy at times, but damn I absolutely adore it.

Better-than-SBPro audio versions are available here.

Comments

• This was awesome and probably one of the most innovative thing back then. I absolutely loved the way you could get into a groove when you played a game. Sometimes you could get lost for hours in the tracks.
  • I remember back in the mid 90's I had a mod file for teardrop by womack and womack, it blew my mind.
    Bits from 1Backtogeek
  • dah85 wrote: »
    I remember back in the mid 90's I had a mod file for teardrop by womack and womack, it blew my mind.

It's probably here: http://www.modarchive.org/
  • @WSS Other times, it was beyond awesome. This is probably my favorite set, which dates back to 1992. It was a combination of 8 bit tracked samples and YM FM. It's glitchy now, and somewhat cringeworthy at times, but damn I absolutely adore it.

Thats amazing, just had it playing in the background.
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 1
    Backtogeek wrote: »
    @WSS Other times, it was beyond awesome. This is probably my favorite set, which dates back to 1992. It was a combination of 8 bit tracked samples and YM FM. It's glitchy now, and somewhat cringeworthy at times, but damn I absolutely adore it.

Thats amazing, just had it playing in the background.

You can still play it under DOS if you have a 486-grade (used 386 bugs inline, so nothing newer) and SBPro/compatible. They made an external program at one point to just play the embedded music at one point, but you can find the .667s around if you look hard enough

It really is some of my favorite PC-Era MODfile music, and how Kenny Chou managed to mix glitchy 8 bit samples with FM synth so well- and I haven't heard any since, still makes me wish he'd throw us a bone 25+ years later.

It probably sounds quite similar in concept to the track I posted in games yesterday- Same author, naturally.

If you want MP3s of the Amnesia tunes, I've got 2 versions. One of them was done on a PAS16 around 2002, and the others are original SB captures.

Oh Good, Trixter put them back up.
  • edited February 1
    Was good, not as good as the first though, got 21 minutes in.