How do you retro?

edited January 12 in General
There's a lot of ways to get your retro fix these days, from playing ported classics on the consoles of today, to incredibly nostalgic NES/SNES mini consoles, sometimes even digging our the original hardware.

How do you retro?

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited January 12
    I own old kit. I have an old CRT TV (2004, last generation) 24" TV w/ NTSC/RCA input and every so often I dig out a "player", and spend the entire weekend reliving my misspent youth.

I've got something like 3 Atari 2600s, and 12 Intellivisions over the years (8 of which not parts machines), and at least 3 of those left. Sadly, I gave up my old PC gear ages ago- I had the worlds' largest most complete Gravis Ultrasound collection, which I donated to Trixter to catalog (which he hasn't done for nearly 20 years).

Although the NES-on-a-chip handhelds rarely hold up to the play and capabilities of the classic games, I own several of those, too.
  • I have some hardware setup in a room upstairs, c64, amiga, snes etc, but honestly its mostly on emulators now.
    Bits from 1WSS
  • Thanks should be Ajaxy and not reload the page, but I guess that works. Can we call them "bits", per @BarryHercules?

I wouldn't mind digging into some of the code to unfuck it, but I have no idea how quickly I might actually do so.
  • yeah, I think this theme needs to go as well, to much forced formatting.
  • Is anyone using clones?

Some think they’re aberrations, but if they can take the games of yesteryear and make them look decent on my HDTV, I’m OK with that.
  • Watched a few reviews of the clones, none of them seem up to scratch.
  • I’ve got a retron5 and it’s a mixed bag. Some consoles work amazingly well, others clearly have problems, mainly because it’s using emulation rather than actually cloning the hardware.

The hardware clones are better; I have both the RetroDuo Portable and the Hyperkin Supaboy S, and they feel much closer to the real thing.
  • I use a PSP with emulators.
    Frankly speaking it might be the easiest and cheapest way to get emulation if you want something on the go. All the buttons are there, emulator support is pretty good.
  • I guess pop is great for console emulation, it's going to bit dog shit for computer emulation though I imagine?
  • derpydm wrote: »
    I use a PSP with emulators.
    Frankly speaking it might be the easiest and cheapest way to get emulation if you want something on the go. All the buttons are there, emulator support is pretty good.

My continual disappointment with PSP emulation is the lack of a truly decent SNES emulator. Other than that, they’re pretty solid devices and easier to pick up than the dedicated consoles like the Dingoo/Cannoo/GCW-Zero.
  • edited January 14
    Don't really use it to play SNES anymore, although yes, I can vaguely remember some lag while playing some SNES games.
    GBA emulation ain't perfect either - although that might just be the fact that my PSP has been treated like shit (seriously, using joysens to correct the damn analog stick every time I reboot it is a slog.

(btw, is quoting broken? getting a message that BBcode had to be converted)
    Don't really use it to play SNES anymore, although yes, I can vaguely remember some lag while playing some SNES games.
    GBA emulation ain't perfect either - although that might just be the fact that my PSP has been treated like shit (seriously, using joysens to correct the damn analog stick every time I reboot it is a slog.

(btw, is quoting broken? getting a message that BBcode had to be converted)

• Not broken, just doing what it is saying, I may go back to markup instead of bb code

I could never be bothered with GBA emulation, the consoles/games are so cheap, I just bought the real thing. The Gameboy Micro is the pinnacle of ‘old-skool’ portable gaming.

I knackered loads of PSP analogue sticks back in the day, most on the original phat models.
  • I have a psp 3000 homebrew. Nice little machine and still works great. Picked it up at a pawn shop for 20 bucks a couple years ago.

I like my Final Fantasy games on it.
  • Got my son the SNES mini for Christmas. I'm an emulator guy myself.
  • thagoat wrote: »
    Got my son the SNES mini for Christmas. I'm an emulator guy myself.

The SNES mini is a great device - Nintendo really nailed it nearly every aspect. The only thing that makes me sad is the lack of expandability. That’s the one thing the ill-fated Neo Geo X got right.
  • Has the snes mini not been hacked yet?
  • Backtogeek wrote: »
    Has the snes mini not been hacked yet?

It has, quite comprehensively, but there’s not 100% compatibility with all games.

I’d prefer to pay for my retro too to help prove there’s a market for it.
  • So my current retro source is, oddly, the PS Vita; the Japanese PSN store has a wealth of 2D PSOne classics, many of which play wonderfully on the Vita; there are some great originals, as well as some proper old-school classics (DonPachi!!!!!!111!). Games work out at slightly more than fiver a piece after exchange rates, which is a bargain for what's on offer.
  • I think this would make an excellent emulation station:

• That is NOICE.....seems ‘spensive tho....
  • yeah i posted it before he got to the price... funk that, maybe in 3 years haha.
  • There is a far cheaper Android version of that, sans keyboard (obviously) - apparently actually pretty good, Android seems a fairly capable platform for emulation these days.
  • edited February 5
    I still have an Open Pandora lying around somewhere. Never properly used it though :(

File:PandoraFront.JPG
  • Those things had an ‘interesting’ path to production. I’ll have to see f I can dig up the history, it’s an interesting read of how a successful importer it niche handhelds decided to just make one himself. The end was result was not as bad as you might think, but still pretty disastrous for everyone involved.
  • Those things had an ‘interesting’ path to production. I’ll have to see f I can dig up the history, it’s an interesting read of how a successful importer it niche handhelds decided to just make one himself. The end was result was not as bad as you might think, but still pretty disastrous for everyone involved.

Oh man, yes. It was a rough ride. However, one/a few of the guys (the good one(s)) is/are making another one, the Pyra: https://www.dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra
  • These consoles being made by hobbyists never end well - even the kind-of-successful GCW-Zero ended up being in a right mess most of the way through to launch.
  • Oh the device (pandora) is actually quite nice! And THIS little device (sorry bout the pun) is looking cool :)

3tbrntv7lsh2.png

https://www.crowdsupply.com/teampocket/pocketsprite if you want one.
  • laurens wrote: »
    Oh the device (pandora) is actually quite nice!

I think they all are, the painful bit is actually getting the hardware, which is usually incredibly late.
    laurens wrote: »
    And THIS little device (sorry bout the pun) is looking cool :)

https://www.crowdsupply.com/teampocket/pocketsprite if you want one.

I can't imagine my ageing fingers could cope with such a small screen/design but it's cool nonetheless and just about in impulse-buy territory.